Monday, October 5, 2009

Color

Would either of parents care if I brought someone home of a different race and told them we were thinking of marriage?

I live outside of Pittsburgh, which is primarily black and white when it comes to skin color. My father and his wife would be completely accepting no matter what the race of my girlfriend would be, even if we were considering marriage. They would also ask a lot of questions in regards to her background and culture, in a loving way, but it would also probably show how sheltered their knowledge of other races and cultures were.

My mother would also be very accepting, considering her a part of the family if we became married. My mother is pretty liberal when it comes to her beliefs on marriage and race would probably not even be an issue.

All in all I think my family, and even its extended members, would embrace and love whoever I brought home, even if the person was from a culture much different then they were ever used to interacting with.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing Paul. So I'm guessing from your comments that your parents are divorced and your father remarried? Just curious!
    Mike

    ReplyDelete